Thursday, August 31, 2006

Oven baked apples


I just re-read my last post. Could it be that I was rambling a bit? I'll keep this one nice and short.

Oven baked apples (serves 4)

- 4 medium apples
- 1 handfull hazelnut biscuits
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (depending on how sweet the biscuits are)
- cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 small dots butter and a little more to butter the dish

Core the apples from the stem-side using a special device made for this or just a small knife. The apples must remain whole, make sure you don't cut a them at the bottom or you won't be able to fill them. Prick their skins a few times with a fork. Soak the raisins in hot water. Place the biscuits in a freezer bag and bash them up with a rolling pin until they are crumbly. Mix the biscuit crumbs, drained raisins, sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice. Fill the apples with the mix, dot them with a little butter and and place in the lightly buttered dish. Bake at 180° for thirty minutes. Serve with whipped cream, mascarpone, a dollop of sour cream, ice cream - whatever you like best.

Instead of hazelnut biscuits, you could just use ground hazelnuts or almonds. Or bash up some amaretti - use your imagination, this recipe is very versatile.

This was thrown together in just a few minutes the other night when I came back from work. We had an impromptu dinner with the Boyfriend and someone very dear to me who will be moving to Finland in a few days. It always makes me a bit sad to part with friends. But I am looking forward to going up there for a visit. Just to think of all the special foods I'll be sampling - blog-material aplenty!

2 comments:

neil said...

I haven't had oven baked apples in years, time to try again because yours look delish. BTW I've featured you in Happy Blog Day.

Honeybee said...

Neil - it's funny you should say that because I hadn't had them in years either! My mother used to make them when I was a child.