Monday, August 14, 2006

Saturday night delight


I did some leisurely food shopping on saturday morning and I got myself a lovely tuna steak. Apart from the fish I had the following ingredients on hand:

- spicy tuna rub (a spice mix meant to be rubbed into tuna steaks or other fish, a gift a very kind person got me when on a business trip to Philadelphia)
- 0.5. onion, finely chopped
- a couple of sage leaves, cut into fine strips
- six sun-dried tomatoes in oil, chopped
- 0.5 glass cognac
- 2 teaspoons sour cream
- salt, pepper
- 60g penne

With all that, I made myself a

Grilled spicy tuna steak on penne with sun-dried tomatoes, sage and cognac

I fried the tomatoes, onions and sage leaves for a few minutes over low heat. I didn't add any extra oil to the pan, as the oil "clinging" to the tomatoes was sufficient. I added the cognac to the pan and simmered everything for another minute or two, then added the sour cream and salt and pepper to taste. In the meantime, I cooked the penne until al dente and added one tablespoon of the cooking water to my sauce before draining the pasta and adding it to the sauce as well. Then I seared the tuna steak rubbed with the spice mix in my beloved grill pan over high heat, very quickly only on both sides, so that the tuna remained slightly pink in the centre.

I put the penne on a plate, sliced the tuna and arranged it on top. Poured myself a glass of Bordeaux, turned the DVD player on (SATC, season 1) and tucked in. Life really is good.

No comments: