Thursday, October 26, 2006

Back from porridge-lovers' paradise


I just returned from Finland, suitcase and handbag chock full of goodies. I found out that the Fins are avid porridge-eaters; every morning, there was a different kind of porridge on the breakfast buffet at my hotel. Oat, rye, buckwheat, four-grain - you name it. I think there is nothing better than a bowl of porridge on a cold autumn or winter morning so I indulged. And I brought some porridge back to recreate that warm, fuzzy feeling here. The Elovena is instant porridge, all you need to do is add some boiling water and stir. My idea of a great breakfast, really.

I also bought some pickled herring, russian-style gherkins in brine (to be eaten with some honey and - my addition - a little sour cream, a very unexpected but truly irresistible combination), reindeer salami and dried reindeer meat and some of the to-die-for rye bread. I honestly wouldn't have thought so but Finland really is worth the trip just for eating. Trust an old foodie.

No comments: