Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Leftovers frittatta


I'm a little bit ashamed to admit this but I'm not always very good at using leftovers which I why, as much as I hate it, I sometimes have to throw food away. Bad, I know. But tonight I'm proud because I did a great job using up several things I had in the fridge all in one go by making a frittatta and the result was tasty, too! I'll definitely resort to this trick again as you could use almost anything from leftover vegetables, to meat or cheese.

Leftovers frittatta (serves 2 to 3)

  • 6 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons plain flour
  • 4 tablespoons water
  • salt, pepper and nutmeg
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • one small onion, finely chopped
  • 4 cooked potatoes, thicky sliced
  • 400g fresh spinach, washed
  • 2 slices smoked salmon, cut into strips
  • 3 ramsons leaves, cut into fine strips
Beat the eggs with the flour and water and season with salt and pepper. Cook the spinach in a large saucepan until wilted and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Drain off any excess liquid. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan (ideally one with a heat-proof handle) and gently fry the onion until soft. Add the potato and fry for a couple of minutes, then add the spinach and mix. Add the smoked salmon and ramsons to the egg mixture, then pour over the potatoes and spinach. Cook over a low heat for about 5-7 minutes, then put your pan under the grill to cook the topside of your frittatta. I don't have a heat-proof frying pan (yet) so I turned the frittatta over using a large plate (tricky but manageable) and cooked it for another 5 minutes until it was completely set.

No comments: