Thursday, April 19, 2007

Spaghettini with roasted pepper, goat cheese and basil oil


My very dear friend M. suggested that I should post more of my own creations. I do have some of my own dishes, things I made as I saw fit and not according to a recipe. But did I actually create these? I'm not so sure. Haven't most dishes been around before? Unless you're cooking El Bulli-style, I'd say they have, at least in one form or another. But that doesn't really matter as far as I'm concerned. I like my food to taste good, look nice, be nutritious and (relatively) healthy, satisfy and sometimes comfort me. I appreciate variety without feeling the need to be innovative at all cost.

Spaghettini with roasted pepper, goat cheese and basil oil
(serves 2)

  • 2-3 red pepper, halved and deseeded
  • 2 teaspoons single cream
  • 0.5 teaspoon piment d'espelette
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 80g fresh crumbly goat cheese
  • 160g spaghettini
For the basil oil:

  • 5 large basil leaves
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 pinch of sea salt
Place the peppers on a baking sheet and roast in the hot oven (250°) for about 30 minutes until they are soft and the skins are blackened. Put in a freezer bag, seal it and let the peppers steam off for about 5 minutes. Carefully remove the skins, then blend the peppers until very smooth. Add the cream, salt and pepper and piment d'espelette. Cook the pasta until al dente. Just before draining, add a scoop of cooking water to the pepper purée. While the pasta is cooking, mash up the basil, salt and oil in a pestle and mortar. Drain the pasta, mix thoroughly with the sauce and divide between two plates. Crumble the goat cheese on top and drizzle with a little basil oil.

No comments: