Sunday, May 20, 2007

Asparagus salad with smoked salmon and honey-mustard-vinaigrette


There are some seasonal foods I like so much that I'll have them basically whenever I can and in whatever way. Raspberries are one of these foods. Asparagus are another - green or white, soup, salad, boiled, roasted, with pasta, rice - anything is fine with me. I've tried a myriad of asparagus recipes but this is one I resort to over and over again, it's a simple and classic combination which works every time (I think).

Asparagus salad with smoked salmon and honey-mustard vinaigrette (serves 4)

  • 1 bunch green asparagus (1kg)
  • 1 tablespoon gros-grain mustard
  • 2 teaspoons honey
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 slices smoked salmon, cut into strips
Wash the asparagus and cut off the woody ends. Cut the asparagus in 5 to 10cm-long pieces. Reserve the tips and steam the stems until just tender. Refresh briefly under cold water. Repeat with the asparagus tips and put stems and tips into a bowl. Stir all the ingredients for the vinaigrette together. Add the salmon strips to the asparagus, then the vinaigrette and stir carefully. Serve immediately.

No comments: