Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Got milk?


Linda at make life sweeter hosts a food event called got milk? as the first week of august is breastfeeding week. (Did you know? No? Neither did I). I think food blogging events are so cool and I always want to participate in so many and end up missing all the deadlines. Pathetic, yes. I'm on time for this one so hooray! I don't even like milk particularly, never drink it, don't add it to cereals, only a drop in my tea, thank you. But cooking with milk - absolutely. Two recipes sprang to my mind. The first was latte in piedi, literal translation "milk standing up", an italian pudding similar to panna cotta which, at least in some versions, is prepared with only milk instead of cream. I'm not sure about the recipe I found, it might be the road to the culinary relevation of the year or complete disaster. I'll try it some other time and report back. The second and the one I chose for this event was Plattenmüesli which is Swiss German and stands for "dish muesli" - this is a funny language so don't ask. It might be that my grandmother used to make this, it seems to me that I have a vague memory of this dish but it was certainly not part of my mother's repertoire. It's simple as it gets - whisk eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla together and let it set in the oven. It's an old recipe and might have been something that (well-off) mothers used to make for their little children so they would grow strong and therefore a suitable dish for breastfeeding week.

Plattenmüesli
(serves 4 as dessert)

  • 3 eggs
  • 2.5dl milk
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • scraped seeds of half a vanilla pod
  • a litte butter for greasing the dish
Preheat the oven to 150° C. Bring water to boil. Grease a medium-sized ovenproof dish. Whisk the eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla together and pour into the dish. Set onto a rimmed baking tray and slide into the hot oven. Carefully pour the hot water onto the baking sheet. Bake for twenty minutes or until completely set. Watch closely as the water must not come to the boil. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before serving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the fact you chose a traditional recipe! And it must be delicious! I'm like you, I don't like drinking milk but I love it in dishes or in my tea :)

Thanks for your entry to Got Milk?
I'll be doing a round-up after August 7th.

Honeybee said...

I'm glad you like it. I had a look at the round-up and there are some fabulous dishes!