Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Summer rocket and peach salad



At this time of the year, when market stalls are heaped with ripe summer fruit and punnets of raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and sometimes late strawberries are lined up, I find it difficult to contain myself when shopping. Especially raspberries - how can anyone not buy them when they are looking as good as they do now ? I always buy some, despite the sky-high prices, I just love them too much to care.

I very much like the combination of savoury and sweet/fruity flavours, so last night, having some especially gorgeous peaches on hand, I made a

Rocket and peach salad

For the Boyfriend and myself I used:

- a few handfulls of rocket, roughly chopped
- a small handfull italian parsley, finely chopped
- half a peach, cut into eight pieces
- a small handfull of toasted almonds (unsalted)
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons moutarde à l'ancienne (the grainy kind)
- 1 tablespoon good-quality balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil

I placed the rocket, parsley, peaches and almonds in a salad bowl, whisked all the ingredients for the vinaigrette together, poured it over and mixed everything carefully, so as not to mush up the peaches.

I placed a few raspberries on top for decoration, but that's just me. I wouldn't forgo the toasted almonds, though, as they keep the very fruit-orientated salad "grounded", as well as making for a nice contrast to the peppery rocket.

2 comments:

Eddie said...

Thanks for the nice comment, honeybee. Love your blog...I'm getting hungry just reading it.

Honeybee said...

Thanks a lot, Eddie! You just made my day! :-)