At this time of the year, when market stalls are heaped with ripe summer fruit and punnets of raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and sometimes late strawberries are lined up, I find it difficult to contain myself when shopping. Especially raspberries - how can anyone not buy them when they are looking as good as they do now ? I always buy some, despite the sky-high prices, I just love them too much to care.
I very much like the combination of savoury and sweet/fruity flavours, so last night, having some especially gorgeous peaches on hand, I made a
Rocket and peach salad
For the Boyfriend and myself I used:
- a few handfulls of rocket, roughly chopped
- a small handfull italian parsley, finely chopped
- half a peach, cut into eight pieces
- a small handfull of toasted almonds (unsalted)
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons moutarde à l'ancienne (the grainy kind)
- 1 tablespoon good-quality balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
I placed the rocket, parsley, peaches and almonds in a salad bowl, whisked all the ingredients for the vinaigrette together, poured it over and mixed everything carefully, so as not to mush up the peaches.
I placed a few raspberries on top for decoration, but that's just me. I wouldn't forgo the toasted almonds, though, as they keep the very fruit-orientated salad "grounded", as well as making for a nice contrast to the peppery rocket.