Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Chocolate fondant


If I had to name one fail-safe, return-to-it-over-and-over recipe in my "collection", I'd say this one. I have made this numerous times for dinner parties and everyone's always liked it. There a millions of recipes for chocolate fondant, of course, but this one, in my eyes, has two undeniable advantages: one - it actually tastes of chocolate and is not overly sweet and two - it can be prepared ahead of time.

Chocolate fondant (serves 4)

  • 100g dark chocolate, in pieces
  • 100g milk chocolate, in pieces
  • 1 pinch ground cinnamon
  • 2dl double cream
  • 2 eggs
  • 40g sugar
  • 40g flour
Place the chocolate pieces in a bowl and melt by standing the bowl in a pan of hot water. Mix with the cream. Add all the other ingredients and beat vigurously until the chocolate mixture thickens slightly. Pour into four buttered ramequins. The fondant can be prepared ahead this far, even the night before. When ready to heat, bake the chocolate fondants for ca. 17 minutes at 180°. The centre should still be a bit soft. Unmold carefully and serve with whipped cream or a dollop of crème fraîche.

P.S. Don't overfill your ramequin dishes or - see picture.
P.P.S. This is actually a post long due. I once promised Winona from daddylikey that I'd post my chocolate fondant recipe in return for instructions from her on how to wear scarves without that instant me-in-fifteen-years effect I get everytime I give one of my many scarves another try.

3 comments:

Honeybee said...

This is to anticipate comments I sometimes get on the lighting of my picture: it was taken at a dinner party I held on 26th december last year. I didn't turn on all possible lights just to shoot dessert and I hate food photographs taken with a flash. Thus, the picture is a little dark. There you go. The fondant was great, anyway...

wheresmymind said...

Goodness that looks evil good!

daddylikeyblog said...

Your scarf post is coming soon, my dear! God that looks so good. I'm so excited to try it!