Thursday, May 03, 2007

Apple pie with cheese


A slice of apple pie and a wedge of cheese on the same plate. Does that seem weird to you? I can certainly understand that but for me, apple pie came with cheese for as long as I can remember. The reason for this goes back to the 1920s, when my grandfather, having finished his studies in agricultural engineering, went to the USA to find out about the american way of farming. He travelled and sometimes worked on farms, helping with the harvest. It seems that it was on one of these farms that he first ate apple pie with cheese and he liked the combination so much that back home, at my grandparents' house, apple pie (which in Switzerland is not usually served as a dessert but more often as a main meal, mostly for tea) was always accompanied by cheese - normally something like gruyère or emmenthal. When my parents got married, the tradition continued in their household. Now it continues in ours. I'd love to hear about your family traditions for how to serve or prepare a dish.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grew up in Ohio and my grandparents always served cheese with apple pie. Usually cheddar or real American (not processed cheese food). Often melted right on top of the still warm pie.

Honeybee said...

That's so interesting! I wonder whether this is how my grandfather used to eat it!