Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Monday night steak wrap with peppers and avocado


I admit that I'm a bit of a health nut. At least sometimes. Wholegrains intrigue me and I could experiment endlessly. Most of the time, the Boyfriend is fine with that and I am especially delighted when he ends up liking one of my healthy concoctions as much as I do - the barley "caprese" for instance. I realise that I must not try his patience endlessly, however. For instance, I learnt that I could only administer wholewheat pasta in homeopathic doses in the combination with a generous serving of bacon. As good-natured and unfussy a eater he his, willing to try anything, some days, nothing makes him happy like a straight meat-and-two-veg dinner. Or a steak wrap with peppers and avocado on a particularly dreary and rainy monday night such as yesterday's. I got the idea from The Pioneer Woman Cooks who makes a mean steak sandwich for her Marlboro Man, only my version doesn't include butter (seeing neither the Boyfriend's nor my work involve the rounding up of cattle or similarly physically challenging activities - unless things such as typing furiously, walking to the cafeteria and removing paper jams count) and I added some vegetables other than the onions.

Steak wrap with peppers and avocado (serves 2 hungry office cowboys resp. girls)

  • 250-300g steak tenderized with a mallet , cut into strips
  • seasonings for the meat to taste (salt, pepper, tacky meat seasoning mixture)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • half an onion, finely sliced
  • one pepper, finely sliced
  • a couple of cherry tomaotes, halved
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
  • salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 0.5 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 0.5 avocado, peeled and diced
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • mexican salsa from a jar (optional)
  • 4 corn flour tortillas
Heat the tortillas according to packet instructions. (Do this at the very end if using a microwave oven. We don't have one, believe it or not). In a large frying pan, heat half of the olive oil and gently fry the onion until soft. Add the pepper and season with salt, pepper and cumin. Fry for a few minutes until cooked but not completely soft, then add the cherry tomatoes. Cook for another minute. Cover the pan and remove from the heat. Season the meat according to taste. My steaks came in a chili marinade, so I left that out. Heat a grill pan until very hot. Add the remaining oil and fry the steak strips briefly from both sides until just done. Put a tortilla on each plate, spread with a little salsa if using, then add the vegetables and some meat. Roll up and tuck in immediately. Make sure to have plenty of napkins at hand.

No comments: