Smoothie - friend or foe? A little while ago, they were all the rage and now they're getting bad publicity for having a high energy density but little nutritional fibre, thus leaving you hungry after only a short while. There went the "superfood"-status. For me, smoothies are indeed not substantial enough to keep me going until lunch but I enjoy them during holidays or on weekends when I get up late-ish and don't want a big breakfast for fear of not being hungry at lunchtime. Clever, huh?
Strawberry breakfast smoothie
- one large handfull of strawberries, washed, hulled and cut into halves
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats or wheatgerm
- 2 tablespoons (low-fat) natural yoghurt
- 1 heaped teaspoon malt powder
- 2 -3 dl buttermilk
- honey or brown sugar to taste